Forums Last Posts Users Ranking

Welcome to Open Travel Forums!

You are viewing our forum as a guest, which means you do not have access to all of the benefits our members enjoy.

Unregistered users cannot take part in discussions, either. Therefore, you are encouraged to follow a few simple steps to free registration, which will enable you to post messages, take part in opinion polls, upload your photos, and benefit from a number of other options.

See how quick and easy registration can be. Register now!

Are you allowed to bring a zippo lighter on an airplane?

Abuse #1 26 Feb 2011, 17:43

I bought one as a gift for someone and I haven't filled it yet so its in the zippo packaging and the lid is factory taped shut. Can I take this on an airplane in my carry on?

Abuse #2 11 Mar 2011, 23:27

Best to put it in your checked baggage. It could be taken away.

Abuse #3 19 Mar 2011, 10:18

YES.
The TSA web site <> says that zippo type and disposable butane type lighters are permitted in carry on bags. It does not matter if they have fuel in them or are empty. Those who say otherwise have not read the rules.
The web site also specifically says that all lighters are prohibited in checked luggage, unless they are either empty (which yours is), or they are inside of a special DOT approved transport case.
So, since it is new and has never been filled, you can take it either in carry on or in checked luggage. Personally, I would take it with you in carry on luggage.
See this web site from the TSA for the whole story about lighters:http://www.Tsa.Gov/travelers/sop/index.S…
FEEDBACK