Forums Last Posts Users Ranking

Welcome to Open Travel Forums!

You are viewing our forum as a guest, which means you do not have access to all of the benefits our members enjoy.

Unregistered users cannot take part in discussions, either. Therefore, you are encouraged to follow a few simple steps to free registration, which will enable you to post messages, take part in opinion polls, upload your photos, and benefit from a number of other options.

See how quick and easy registration can be. Register now!

Becoming a JYP or YG Trainee?

Abuse #1 29 Sep 2010, 15:50

Join Date: May 2010 Posts: 2 Trips: 0
Okay so i have a question. If someone becomes a trainee for either JYP or YG. they have to move to korea right? yes i know that. but what if that person is under 18.? where do they live.? do their family have to move with them?

Abuse #2 17 Nov 2010, 10:44

Join Date: Apr 2010 Posts: 1 Trips: 0
They pay for everything except for pocket money.
However, as many K-pop idols have mentioned on various shows, when you are a trainee, you only get 3000 WON (roughly $4) per meal. So you would have to find food that fits within that price range.
It may seem nice that they are paying everything during your trainee years, but once you become an idol, remember the company takes 80~90% of what you make. So it's really not a good deal.
But for JYP, I remember Rain said he didn't have enough money for some meals, so he skipped a lot of meals. So maybe JYP doesn't pay for your food. I think YG treats their artists very well, but it's the hardest to get into.
You could move near the companyHQ with your family, but the company wouldn't pay for it at all, since it's your personal choice that you are moving with your family.
If you want to the comapny to pay for housing, you would be moving into their trainee dorm, with parent consent.
Remember that the company is not obliged to treat you well. Their sole responsibility is to train you, and train you hard too.

Abuse #3 20 Nov 2010, 10:14

Join Date: Jun 2010 Posts: 2 Trips: 0
Yes you do move to korea, the people above explained it perfectly! ^^ heres some other information that you may have already known but i thought i would list it anyway!
Trainees usually start young like G-dragon and Taeyang and practice until late in the evening and only have Sunday as their rest day. It is said that as a YG trainee, he/she abandons his/her private life and just focuses on training.
Aspriring YG singers undergo dance, vocal, foreign languages and physical trainings. They are supervised by a vocal trainer for three or more times a week in order to train them on basic singing concepts and in singing live.
Dance trainings are also done three or more times a week and YG Entertainment also employs, two or more times a year, international dancers to teach its trainees. Currently, Justin Timberlake’s female dance partner Michele Martinez is the dance trainer for YG’s trainees.
Trainees also study English, Chinese and Japanese 3 or more times a week. Moreover, basic equipment for weight training are also available within the office.

Abuse #4 26 Nov 2010, 20:45

Join Date: Aug 2010 Posts: 1 Trips: 0
You will probably have to live in some sort of dorm with other traineees from the company.

Abuse #5 18 Jan 2011, 04:16

Join Date: May 2010 Posts: 3 Trips: 0
JYP and YG:
~As soon as you become a trainee, they pay for everything! You'll also probably have to live in a dorm with all the other trainees (boys and girls separated). If you're under 15 I suggest moving with your family. But if you're like 17, you're old enough, right? ^.^

Abuse #6 23 Jan 2011, 07:47

Join Date: Apr 2010 Posts: 1 Trips: 0
Okay here's what I know about YG.
Well about the moving, yes you do move to Korea and train under them. They will pay for your boarding(property) and your training fees I believe. When it comes to pocket money, I'm not sure whether they give you an allowance or not. If you're under 18, I think they must have parental consent before the child can move to Korea under YG Ent's supervision. But I do remember reading one article where you have to have one guardian with you (it was just one article so not sure about that). You live in an condo probably in close proximity to the YG headquarters since you are going to be in intense training and being near the HQ just saves time.
I'm not sure about JYP but it's probably the same.Probably. If you live in America and did become a trainee for either JYP or YG, I think you will move to one of their offices in New York (JYP I believe) and California (YG?), train there for some time, and when all papers are ready you will move to Korea.
Despite all this, I suggest you also do your own research just to be sure.
Hope this helps.

Abuse #7 19 Feb 2011, 06:37

Join Date: May 2010 Posts: 1 Trips: 0
Yes, you HAVE to move to korea to train, i dont think you have to move in with your family I guess you need parents approval though, and you will be living with a roommate and a company.

Abuse #8 02 Mar 2011, 22:38

Join Date: Jun 2010 Posts: 2 Trips: 0
For JYP if you live in the US you might get to stay at home, because they have a US base. It depends on how far away from it you live. If it's too far away you might have to live in a dorm. And when they think you're ready to be part of a Group to practise for debut you will move to Korea and live in a dorm with them, unless your parents move with you, you can still live with them if you want I think.
For YG I'm not too sure, you probably will have to move to Korea.