Forums Last Posts Users Ranking

Welcome to Open Travel Forums!

You are viewing our forum as a guest, which means you do not have access to all of the benefits our members enjoy.

Unregistered users cannot take part in discussions, either. Therefore, you are encouraged to follow a few simple steps to free registration, which will enable you to post messages, take part in opinion polls, upload your photos, and benefit from a number of other options.

See how quick and easy registration can be. Register now!

Poverty in south Korea?

Abuse #1 13 Mar 2011, 20:19

I am planning on moving to South Korea to work with the poor. I wanted to know if anyone knew which cities had the most poverty? And what the poverty problems in South Korea are.

Abuse #2 16 Mar 2011, 01:59

Um. actually, there are other places which has much worse problems with poverty. Korea has the resources to combat poverty. your work and mindset will have a much greater impact and gratittuted somewhere else, like Africa or something.

Abuse #3 21 Mar 2011, 04:54

I live in Seoul and Pusan for two years. In the major cities in South Korea there is a great deal of homeless people. They are abundant, but are often moved around by the city and federal government. They are seen as trash and sub-human. In addition, Orphans are abundant too. Korean look down upon adoption. I would say to look at homeless people. Also look at orphanages. These are two places that are in most need in South Korea. In addition, South Korea does not have many social programs like welfare or social security for the disable. It easy to see people without legs riding on skateboard time vehicles. The cities in South Korea and in specific the public streets and transportation are not designed for people with disabilities. This is another opportunity for improvement.
In short, look at help disable homeless, homeless in general, orphans, and old people with low income. If you are looking for organization, there are many international organizations such as Churches, the UN, and the International Monetary Fund (IMF). South Korea is the 12th largest economies in the world, but it also has many poor people. I think you could be of great help in South Korea.
Philly Guy

Abuse #4 24 Mar 2011, 11:34

Well, living and traveling in Korea, I've noticed that there's probably more rural poverty than anything else. There's not much poverty in Korea as a whole, but there are plenty of farmer/fisherman communities.
As you know, Korea has been an agrarian society until recently when it started developing more technological sectors.
However, there are plenty of places where farming is a major way of life. I'm guessing Gangwondo, the northeasternmost and more mountainous province, has more poverty issues.
Yet, it really depends on what poverty problems you want to tackle. Do you mean homelessness, which is more prevalent in the larger cities Seoul, Busan, Daegu, or do you mean living below average financial means, which is arguably found throughout the country.
Email me for more help and I'll try to find the answer.
FEEDBACK