Forums Last Posts Users Ranking

Welcome to Open Travel Forums!

You are viewing our forum as a guest, which means you do not have access to all of the benefits our members enjoy.

Unregistered users cannot take part in discussions, either. Therefore, you are encouraged to follow a few simple steps to free registration, which will enable you to post messages, take part in opinion polls, upload your photos, and benefit from a number of other options.

See how quick and easy registration can be. Register now!

What are some good and bad points about living in Athens, GA?

Abuse #1 27 Aug 2010, 04:59

If anyone who has lived there could inform me about the neighborhoods and what life is like in Athens I would appreciate that. Are there locations that should be avoided?

Abuse #2 07 Sep 2010, 04:37

It all depends on what you like. If you are into the arts,they have a magnificent arts community, great cafes, music, etc.If you like football, that is covered. Otherwise, it is just as suburban as suburban gets. I like the area, but it always seems hotter there to me than in Atlanta. Commerce.Well.No, that would not ever be for me. Athens is like its own micro town.

Abuse #3 09 Sep 2010, 09:05

Good - nice small area atmosphere with lots of friendly people.
Bad - college of Georgia is there. Everything you do or see is focused on UGA Bulldogs

Abuse #4 02 Oct 2010, 12:49

Commerce, GA would actually be better (just N. on 441 from Athens). It's not too far from Athens and you won't have to listen to all of the college kids showing their real age at 3 in morning when you're needing some sleep before work the next day. The mall in Athens is fair but nothing astounding.
Besides, if you like drag racing, you will really like Commerce!

Abuse #5 02 Dec 2010, 21:13

They have very nice neighborhoods and not so nice neighborhoods. I would avoid the area north of Athens off Highway 441. Many people who work in Athens live in Oconee or Oglethorpe County. Athens is very liberal politically because there are a lot of academics and black people in Athens so if you happen to be conservative there you would find yourself in the minority. There are some very nice homes hear the UGA campus. I actually live in Commerce now and I like the more rural atmosphere here better than Athens even though I still work in the area. The first person who answered this mentioned liquor stores. They are still closed on Sunday, but you can get around that by buying on Saturday.

Abuse #6 15 Mar 2011, 20:49

I've only visited. I liked it. Sure gets hot in the summer, duh, it's Georgia. The University is outstanding. Liquor stores were closed on Sundays when I was there, but that was years ago.
FEEDBACK