Forums Last Posts Users Ranking

Welcome to Open Travel Forums!

You are viewing our forum as a guest, which means you do not have access to all of the benefits our members enjoy.

Unregistered users cannot take part in discussions, either. Therefore, you are encouraged to follow a few simple steps to free registration, which will enable you to post messages, take part in opinion polls, upload your photos, and benefit from a number of other options.

See how quick and easy registration can be. Register now!

What is the maximum blade length TSA allows on a plane?

Abuse #1 30 May 2010, 22:04

So, the TSA took my brand new $60 leatherman squirt from me when I went through security. I don't think this is OK. I've brought a leatherman through security loads of time without any trouble, as well as the only document I can discover on blade length laws say that less than 4 inches is OK. The knife component I brought was under 1.6 inches long. Thanks!

Abuse #2 28 Jun 2010, 05:56

I used to work for TSA. Absolutely NO knives, blades, scissors etc of any kind are allowed past the checkpoint. You are given a opportunity, except in the case of guns, drugs, or explosives in which case you will be questioned by law enforcement officials, to return the prohibited item to your car, or abandoning it at the checkpoint. You can get a comprehensive and updated list of prohibited items at their website at http://www.Tsa.Gov

Abuse #3 13 Sep 2010, 23:24

I had a 2 inch blade seamstress scissors and they confiscated it.
Blades and razors are not allowed onto flights, for security reasons.
If you've brought that item on planes before, those security folks weren't doing their job. No wonder we have so many attempted bombings! lol

Abuse #4 12 Jan 2011, 22:57

I don't know where you got your information, but NO knives or sharp bladed items are permitted - NONE. See http://www.Tsa.Gov under prohibited items.
Doesn't matter if the knife blade is small, it is still a knife. Might not make sense in more logical worlds, but we no longer live in that world.

Abuse #5 01 Mar 2011, 22:43

The TSA does not allow knives to be carried onboard aircraft unless they are plastic or have a rounded blade (such as a butter knife) -- the length of the blade is irrelevant to whether it is allowed or not.
(The 4-inch length you mention has to do with scissor blades, not knives, according to the TSA link below.)
FEEDBACK